Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Do prudes work at Gazette Newspapers in Long Beach, Calif.?

I didn't want to write this post, but I felt I had no choice.

Do prudes work at Gazette Newspapers in Long Beach, California?

I only ask this because for the second time in the past 10 years they have refused to cover one of my book projects because it is erotic in nature. In 2001, they wouldn't review or cover my first book "Letters From Cyberspace" saying it was too erotic for their readers.

In the past week, I had pitched a story about my provocative blog novel "Monogamy Sucks" to the Gazette Newspapers editor Darcy Leigh Richardson. Today I was told by her via e-mail they are swamped with content at the moment and that she thinks my particular topic -- monogamy, sex, infidelity, erotica -- "wouldn't be appropriate for our readership."

Really? Does her readership deal with monogamy, marriage, sex? Have they read "Sex in the City" or "American Psycho?" -- great books with far more provocative content than is contained on my blogs -- http://monogamysux.blogspot.com or http://monogamysucks.wordpress.com.

So far a number of other media outlets have had no problem with my blog's content -- including the Wire Service -- Wireless Flash, radio stations in Australia, Montreal and San Diego.

What's up with Gazette Newspapers?

It is sad, strange and even a little funny when publications censor themselves.

If Gazette Newspapers doesn't think it is an interesting story to cover then that is fine. But turning me down because of my blog's controversial content seems to fly in the face of what a newspaper's mission should be -- to inform, not to judge.

George Pappas
Writer of blog novel "Monogamy Sucks"
gmpwrite@gmail.com

No comments: